Where is she now?

Find out what great cities I've lived in and visited on my adventures as a traveling P.T.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Lessons Learned while in WA

I finally sat down to update my blog and let you know that I'm still here, but just haven't been feeling the love for the blog. Perhaps it's because I didn't have much to share about my first couple of weeks here in the Tacoma/Seattle area. I've learned several intersting facts about WA:

1) there really is a town called SeaTac--I just thought it was the locals way of referencing the airport;
2) there is a town called George here and there's a gorge where they have live performances (Jon Mayer was just here)--so it's known as The Gorge in George, Washington;
3) the drivers for the most part are more curteous, safer, and smarter than those in AZ, but so many of them are law abiding citizens who insist on driving exactly the speed limit and not 1 mph over only for me to get boxed in numerous times. Or how about those who still don't know that the left lane is the passing lane? They even have signs posted indicating it's state law. Perhaps I should retract my earlier statement about "smarter" drivers.
4) it doesn't rain all the time--that's just a ploy the natives use to keep others out--it was sunny every single day last week
5) the natives seem to think it gets hot and humid here--heat and humidity are relative
6) it's very green here
7) I've spent more $ on coffee in the 7 weeks I've been here than in the 10 months I was in Phoenix. One tour guide's explanation for the excessive coffee intake was the weather (who knew) and the hobby of reading (maybe the natives should review the DMV's rules of the road next time they order a venti, soy, non-fat, decaf, peppermint mocha with chocolate sprinkles, and light whip)
8) Canada's only 3 hours away by car and boat
9) my new favorite phrases are "for sure" and "right on." To be accepted into the fold, one must be sure to understand how to use these two phrases. "For sure" is used most often in the service industry (i.e. restaurants) as a response to a question and indicates the ability to fulfill the request of the guest. It is similar to "no problem." For example, I always order my water with very little ice so when I ask for it here, they reply "for sure." It took a while for me to pick up on "right on." When used by the very skilled native, it is barely noticeable with no one syllable that is emphasized. It is not intended to stand out on it's own and it usually found at the end of a sentence. It's usually said to indicate agreement or acceptance of a proposal. For example, I might tell a friend that I need to take my bike into the shop for a tune up and he would respond with a very undramatic "right on." You have to hear it used to really understand it. It's very casual, very smooth, and almost non-emotional. Most users of this phrase are men. (don't read too much into that last statement)
10) it's hilly here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home