Where is she now?

Find out what great cities I've lived in and visited on my adventures as a traveling P.T.

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Juneau, Day 3--Approaching the Glacier on foot and water

Since approaching the Mendenhall glacier by air wasn't enough, we HAD to approach it by foot and by self propelled boat. It was my first time in a kayak and I didn't get us stuck going in circles and we didn't flip over! We started out day out by hiking to the glacier via the West Glacier Trail. As we got closer to the glacier our trail took us deeper into the woods with bright red and orange yarn tied to trees as our markers. The view once we left the woods was amazing. I felt like I was the last person on earth. You are faced with mounds and mounds of rocks that are milllions of years old. We hiked down to the ice caves and enjoyed a snack while taking it all in. It's surreal to think that I touched ice that again is millions of years old. We made our way back to forest and after several tries we found our orange and red ribbons again. Our guided kayak trip got canceled so we rented a kayak and went on the lake on our own. Thank goodness Beth has been in kayaks before. I probably would have tipped over and run into an iceberg. We got lots of awesome pics as you can see below.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home